Accueil international Accueil international

Home > News > International news

Health insurance

Newcomers : don't forget to register !

Picto santé.JPG

You have just arrived in France for your studies, for a doctorate or to do some research ?
Depending on your situation, you may have have to follow certain procedures to get a health coverage.

International students

Right after having completed your administrative registration at university, go to the Assurance Maladie website dedicated to new international students, in order to know if you must register :

If you need to register, remember that registration is free and mandatory.

Find out more > Student > Health > Insurance
Info sheet for international students ‘Health coverage and registration with the health insurance’

International PhD students and researchers

Even if you have a French work contract, the registration is not automatic.

To know which procedure to follow, and to find out more > Doctoral student > Health > Insurance
Info sheet for international PhD students ‘Health coverage and registration with the health insurance’ > Researcher > Health > Insurance

To be better reimbursed, if you are registered with French health insurance / social security, remember to declare a referent doctor.

Complementary health insurance / ‘Mutuelle’

The health insurance, also called social security, covers only part of your medical expenses, and the reimbursement rate varies depending on the type of treatment.
To top up social security reimbursements, it is strongly recommended to subscribe to a complementary health insurance, also called ‘mutuelle’.

Updated on September 8, 2020

Associés renforcés
Associés simples