Covid 19 – Getting tested and vaccination

On the  March 30, 2022
You will find here information about what to do in case you have Covid-19 symptoms, or have been in contact with a confirmed Covid-19 person, where to get tested, and how to get vaccinated.
Last updated: 30 June 2022

Testing for Covid-19

Types of screening tests

  • Virological test ("RT-PCR"): result usually available within 24 to 48 hours.
  • Antigenic test (or "TROD", for "Test Rapide d'Orientation Diagnostique", rapid diagnostic orientation test): quick result, within 30 minutes.
  • Self-test ("autotest"): sold in pharmacies, these tests do not have the same clinical performance as virological 'RT-PCR' tests.

Testing or screening places

You can get tested in a laboratory, a pharmacy or in some nurses' or doctors' offices.
To find out where to get tested near your home, you must select your department of residence on the Santé.fr website, and then the city:
  • if you live in Grenoble: 38 - Isère,
  • if you live in Valence: 26 - Drôme.

Cost and coverage of tests

  • Getting tested can be covered and reimbursed by the Health insurance only for persons in one of the following situations:
- vaccinated against Covid-19 (full vaccination schedule),
- medical contraindication that prevents vaccination against Covid-19,
- minors (under 18 years old),
- identified by the Health Insurance as a contact person,
- with a certificate of recovery less than 6 months old,
- group screening organized by an institution,
- positive antigenic test less than 48 hours old (requiring a confirmatory PCR test),
- coming from countries classified in orange or red zones and for the test to be performed at the end of the quarantine period,
- on medical prescription (e.g. in case of symptoms).

In these cases, you have to present the documents corresponding to your situation:
vaccination or recovery certificate, ID (for minors), email or SMS from the Health Insurance justifying contact at risk, proof of transportation and declaration on honor (for people coming from countries in orange or red zones), medical prescription.

You will also need to present your French Health Insurance certificate, 'carte Vitale' or European Health Insurance Card.
  • For any other situation, the tests are being charged:
- 44€ for a PCR test,
- from 22 to 45€ for an antigenic test.

> Find out more

Vaccination against Covid-19

Access to vaccination

Anyone residing in France, and over the age of 5, can get vaccinated against Covid-19.
Vaccination is free of charge if you live in France and are covered by the French state health insurance or have a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC).

If you are registered with French state health insurance, you will need to show your health insurance certificate or 'carte Vitale', and a piece of ID.
If you have an EHIC, you will need to show a piece of ID and a proof of address in France in addition to your EHIC.

Vaccination reminder

The booster vaccination is open to persons residing in France who are 18 years of age or older.
To find out whether you are eligible for a booster dose, when, and with what type of vaccine, complete the online questionnaire (simulator) from the French government website:
> Questionnaire to find out the details and conditions for your vaccination

> More information about the booster dose

Vaccination places

You can get vaccinated in a pharmacy, a nurse's office or by some doctors.
To find out where to get vaccinated near your home, you must select your department of residence on the Santé.fr website, and then the city:
  • if you live in Grenoble: 38 - Isère,
  • if you live in Valence: 26 - Drôme.

If you have symptoms, or have been in contact with someone with confirmed Covid-19

Follow the health precautions and sanitary measures, and get tested.

If you think your situation requires medical evaluation, call your referring doctor.
> Université Grenoble Alpes students and PhD students in Grenoble: visit the University health center website for more information.
> More information about medical consultations

If you have trouble breathing or feel out of breath, call the emergency service: dial 15 (114 for deaf and hard of hearing).

Informing your institution and reporting yourself

Don't forget to inform the 'service de scolarité' in your faculty or school, or your supervisor if you are a university member of staff.

And in order to help the university organize a collective follow-up, it is also important to report any signs of Covid-19 via a self-reporting form:
Published on  January 26, 2021
Updated on June 30, 2022