Temporary accommodation

You may need to look for temporary accommodation if you are only staying for a few weeks, or if you would rather take the time to look for somewhere to live after you arrive.

Grenoble youth hostel

Grenoble’s youth hostel is a member of the United Federation of Youth Hostels (“Fédération Unie des Auberges de Jeunesse” - FUAJ), the French branch of Hostelling International.
You must be a member of the HI (Hostelling International) association, for around 2€. Upon presentation of an admission letter or proof of enrollment at Université Grenoble Alpes for the 2023-2024 academic year, individual membership is free.
After joining, you can book a bed in a shared room or dormitory for 2, 4 or 8 people at a rate of less than €30 per night including breakfast.
Youth hostels are equipped with kitchens enabling you to cook for yourself.

Grenoble’s youth hostel is outside the city center and on the other side of town from campus, but is accessible by public transport.
> Visit the FUAJ website

Hotels and apartment hotels

As a complement to the usual hotel comparison websites, the Grenoble Alpes Métropole and Valence Romans tourist office websites have long lists of suggested accommodation providers (hotels, apartment hotels, holiday homes (“gîtes”), etc.).
> See the list on the Grenoble Alpes Métropole tourist office website
> See the list on the Valence Romans tourist office website
Difference between hotels and apartment hotels
Apartment hotels offer furnished apartments (from studio to three bedrooms + living room) with kitchens.
They are available for short, long or recurring stays and provide hotel services (cleaning, receptionist), while some also offer various leisure facilities.

Temporary accommodation with CROUS


If you are a student or intern in need of accommodation for a few days (3 nights minimum), weeks or months, CROUS Grenoble Alpes may be able to offer you temporary accommodation.
Important: this service is not available between August and November, because applications for accommodation for the complete academic year are processed as a priority. You will need to provide proof of your academic status in order to apply. 
> Find out more on the CROUS website

Doctoral students and researchers

For short and mid-length stays (less than 6 months), you can apply for a room at the Galilée residence run by CROUS, in Grenoble city center.
> Find out more on the CROUS website
Published on  January 7, 2021
Updated on June 13, 2023