Social support and assistance

If you encounter financial, personal or family difficulties during your stay, a number of support and assistance organizations are on hand to help you overcome them.

CROUS Social Service

The aim of CROUS ('Centre régional des œuvres universitaires et scolaires') is to improve the living and working conditions of students on a daily basis.
In both Grenoble and Valence, CROUS runs a Social Service dedicated to students in order to help them with any financial, social, mental health or other difficulties they may face.
Its social workers are on hand to support them and help them find the appropriate solutions.

Making an appointment

Whether you are in Grenoble or in Valence, you can make an appointment with a social worker online via the website
Select ‘CROUS Grenoble Alpes’, then the city where you are studying, and lastly ‘Assistant(e) social(e)’ (social worker).
If possible, make an appointment with the social worker assigned to your area of study.

Contacts and addresses

> Find contacts and other useful information on the website of CROUS Grenoble Alpes
Specific support funds for students
Your establishment may have a specific support fund to help you if you are in difficulties.
> To find out more, see the iCampus website

Municipal social services

Most large French towns and cities have a Municipal Center for Social Action (‘Centre Communal d’Action Sociale’ - CCAS), where social workers help people in difficulties – usually by appointment – by giving them advice, support and assistance.
These social services are reserved for the inhabitants of the town or city concerned.

In Grenoble

The CCAS is composed of several Local Solidarity Services (‘Services Locaux de Solidarité’ - SLS).
Your SLS depends on your address.

> To find out which SLS to contact, see the table accessed via the link provided on Grenoble city council’s Solidarités website
> Find further information on Grenoble city council’s website

In Valence

The CCAS collaborates closely with many local associations and institutions.
If you require information or advice, or wish to make an appointment, contact the CCAS of Valence.

> Visit Valence city council's website to find the contacts

Other cities

To obtain information on the CCAS of the town or city where you live, find out about the mechanisms that exist, or make an appointment, contact your town hall.

University employees: Staff Social Service
You can obtain assistance from the social service at the Interuniversity Health Center if you are a salaried doctoral student or researcher at Université Grenoble Alpes.
> To find out more and contact the secretarial office of the staff social service, see the Health Center website and its ‘Personnels’ section

Published on  January 8, 2021
Updated onApril 6, 2021