Apply for a "Passeport Talent" residence permit online

Applications for a "Talent - Chercheur" or spouse of researcher residence permit are done online, on the national platform of the Directorate-General for Foreign Nationals in France ("Direction Générale des Étrangers en France").
To help you in this process, the International Students & Scholars Office (ISSO) of Université Grenoble Alpes will guide throughout this procedure.

Step 1: assemble your application file

Between 2 and 4 months before your current residence permit or long-stay visa expires, assemble your application file by referring to the list of documents available on the online national platform (you can also use ISSO's online platform to help you, see next step).
If you are hosted by someone, you can use the following template provided by the International Students & Scholars Office:
> "Attestation d'hébergement" template
Good to know
All your documents must be written in French, except for your passport. If you need to translate some of your documents, consult our sworn translators section.

Step 2: ask ISSO to check your application file

Once you have gathered all the required documents, upload all the copies on our “démarches simplifiées” online checking platform. You may need to create an account to access the platform.
Please note
This step is optional, but strongly recommended as prefectures can take a long time to process your application, and if your file is incomplete you will have to start the whole process all over again.
Should you encounter difficulties with our online tool (not familiar with web applications or have problems accessing the internet), you can also visit one of our welcome centers and have your application checked by the ISSO team on paper.

Step 3: submit your application

Once you have assembled your complete application for a student residence permit, you can submit it to the Préfecture.

If -and only if- your situation matches one of the following:
  • You have an "APS Jeune Diplômé" or a "récépissé"
  • You have a "long term-UE" residence permit, issued by another European country
  • Your residence permit or visa has expired more than 6 months ago, or you do not have one
  • You are an Algerian national, or a spouse of an Algerian national
  • You want to apply in parallel for a long duration residence permit - "Résident longue durée - UE"
You must submit your application on paper.
In Grenoble, paper applications are done by appointment only, on the On-Campus Préfecture Office: In Valence, contact ISSO Valence to know how to proceed.


You must submit your application on the online national platform of the Directorate-General for Foreign Nationals in France (DGEF).
If you did not validate your long-stay visa online when you arrived, you will need to create an account on the website.
Please note
Technical issues prevent some users from submitting their application on the DGEF website. If you cannot submit your application, contact the help provided by the “Direction Générale des Étrangers en France (DGEF)”, which is the only way to solve the issue at this stage.

Step 4: the Préfecture processes your application

Once you have completed all of the steps and uploaded your documents to the platform, you will receive an “attestation de dépôt” (submission certificate).
This certificate does not constitute a valid residence permit and does not extend the validity of your current residence permit or the rights associated with your stay (work, travel, social security benefits).

Then, there are four possible outcomes:
  • The Prefecture asks you to send an additional document. You will be notified of the request by email and will need to upload the requested document to your online account within 30 days.
  • The Prefecture needs more time processing your application but your resident permit is about to expire: if you submitted your application on time and it is complete, you will receive a certificate "attestation de prolongation d'instruction", which extends the validity of your residence permit and the rights associated with your current residence permit (work, travel, social security benefits).
  • The Prefecture approves your application: you can then download your “attestation de décision favorable” (a PDF certificate of your approval) from your account.
  • The Prefecture rejects your application or classifies it as “sans suite” (dismissed due to lack of action on your part). If this happens, you will be notified by email and will be able to view the grounds for the rejection on your online account.
Please note
The “attestation de décision favorable” (certificate of approval) grants you an extension of your old residence permit and the rights associated with it (work, travel, social security benefits) until you receive your new permit.

Step 5: pick up your residence permit

Once your application has been approved by the Isère or Drôme Préfecture, a residence permit is being issued.
Each Prefecture has its own procedures for picking up your new permit.
Updated on  May 6, 2024