Main visa options

Find out if you need a visa, and explore the main visa options.

Who needs a visa

European citizens

Nationals of European Union and European Economic Area member states, Switzerland, Monaco, Andorra, San Marino and the Vatican do not need to apply for a visa to come to France, regardless of the duration of their stay.

Other nationalities

If you are a national of another country, the official visa website for France provides an online test to help you find out whether you need a visa, and explains the application procedure if you do.

Main visa options

Student Long-Stay Visa (VLS) "Étudiant"

This visa, issued for up to one year, allows you to come to France in order to study or do a doctorate (without a French work contract). When it expires, you can extend your stay by applying for a residence permit without having to return to your country of origin.
> More information on the official visa website for France

Researcher Long-Stay Visa (VLS) "Passeport Talent – Chercheur"

Lasting for up to a year, this visa can be issued to you if you hold a degree at least equivalent to a Master’s, have a contract of employment, and are coming to carry out university-level research or teaching work.
Your employer (Université Grenoble Alpes or research body) will determine whether you qualify for this status, and issue you with a hosting agreement ("convention d'accueil") if you do.
> More information on the official visa website for France

Job search/business creation Long-Stay Visa (VLS) "Recherche d’emploi ou création d’entreprise"

If you earned at least a Master’s-level qualification or a professional bachelor’s (“licence professionnelle  ”) in France and left the country right after your studies, you can apply for this visa within four years of graduating. It will entitle you a year in France in order to seek employment or set up a business.

Short-stay visa "C Court Séjour"

These visas are issued for stays of less than three months, and cannot be extended in France (with the exception of visa type "Étudiant-Concours”, issued if you are coming to France to take a competitive examination). They do not entitle you to state health insurance coverage or social welfare benefits (such as unemployment insurance).

Updated on  June 7, 2023